Thursday, May 17, 2007

Emigration

Advertisment for the German-American Steamship Line

Modern View of St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, Hamburg, Germany,
from where my grandparent's left Europe.

How does one describe that moment of thought when one decides to leave; to take that phantasmagorical step into the void? I often wonder about my grandparents with little children in hand leaving Mother Russia from the port city of Hamburg, Germany and the millions of others who make that decision, who take that step to leave the known for the unknown.

I certainly don't want to imply the decision to join the Peace Corps is analogous to permanently leaving your home for a dream, but it may be the closest I come to answering my questions about what went through their minds before departure.
And what is the answer? It is probably lost amongst their ashes, as mine are lost in the rambling of these blog pages.

The one thing I do know is that they "Just Did It".

No comments: