Thursday, February 12, 2009

Religion

02/08/09

I rotate between Iva’s six churches and am visited by various missionaries. I wonder what they might all have in common. The only unifying theme to me is their religion answers the unanswerable, answers so unknowable they must be based on faith, myth, or fantasy.

As I watch people prostrate themselves, each devoted to their own special dogma, I wonder if Karl Marx wasn’t right when he described religion as the opiate of the masses or another philosopher who stated that if God didn’t exist, man would create one. Maybe the dream state of opium isn’t bad or fantasies about the unknowable or unattainable. Maybe the issue is when faith, myth, or fantasy is accepted as reality, but then again, if they weren’t, how could religion exist?

No comments: