Tuesday, September 29, 2009

BULGARIA!?

9/28/09

Just when I think my Peace Corps days were over and a faint sense of assimilation was in the air, POW!, a surprise smacked me in the kisser.

While visiting my daughter and her family this past weekend, I got an email from the Peace Corps in Washington, DC requesting a phone interview this Monday am for a 10 month assignment in Bulgaria. After talking with my wife, Mary, I responded in the affirmative.

The position was for a Business Development Officer with the Alumni Center of the Faculity of Economics and Business Administration at Sofia University with a desired start date of October, 2009. There was a detailed "Job Description" with goals, and a lot of MBA-type buzz words. I read it to mean they wanted someone to help them setup up business alliances to raise levs (Bulgarian money). The interviewer said I would know by next week whether to pack my bags or not.

As an aside, a retired couple from the nearby town of Hudson, Wisconsin contacted me after reading my blog before they joined the Peace Corps and recently were assigned as teachers in Bulgaria's second largest city of Plovdiv.

CIA link: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bu.html

1 comment:

Barb Carusillo said...

Wow, back in the saddle again!