Thursday, May 29, 2008

Progress Report, Month Nine

05/23/08

I would characterize my past one as being on overdrive, the garden consuming most of my time. For Mary, the chance to use her skills at the local primary school establishing an English reading program has really put a spark in her.

The Garden Project
Getting new varieties of seeds has kept me up nights wondering what to do next. The Ministry of Agriculture came over with one of their experts who really helped me with suggestions about what I have been doing wrong and some new gardening techniques of combining vegetables with different growing spans within the same bed. I continue to add more beds as I add the new veggies. Selling my produce to the local stores is working out well, as a market helping them make money while maintaining a higher price level for other growers. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. As long as no one else knows this, I shall continue to be the veggie expect on Savaii.

Telecenter/Computer Training
No news on the telecenter.

Sewing Machines
Sewing classes continue to attract new members each week. It looks like they stay all day rather than just the morning. Need to report to the New Zealand High Commission that their grant is really doing some good.

Village Youth
The village youth have reverted back to drinking beer and smoking pot, or so it seems. Unlike other villages with active church youth groups, there are no organized groups with which to start something. I was given a huge restaurant size container of Italian Seasoning. Maybe they want to buy and smoke it? I guess doing that combined with the youth thinking my okra is marihuana keeps them ready for some future idea.

Small Business
Been unable to meet with a school art teacher about teaching others about silk screening. Tourists are arriving. Family teenage boys are more interested in rugby than making money. The Women’s Committee is very interested.

Teaching School
Just two weeks after Mary started her English reading program, it was halted because of term end exams and then a three-week recess. She is ready to go when school reopens.

Who knows what month ten brings. It is one year since we have been in Samoa.

No comments: