Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Visit from Jenny

09/26/08
Jennifer Koch is a new volunteer with Group 80. She is posted at the far end of Savaii, a three-hour ride on a wooden seated bus. Her host family consists of three women and twenty some men. During a trip to town, she made a side trip to visit me. We talked about ways to apply for sewing machines and starting a garden in her village.

The volunteers not in your initial training group are often difficult to know, especially on a remote place like Savaii. I do know Jenny is from Portland, Oregon, yet she knows about and likes okra (an odd connection I need to explore further). As she ran to catch a bus, I remember that I had not given her a promised head of cabbage. Maybe she doesn’t even like cabbage?

1 comment:

Barb Carusillo said...

Portland Oregon huh? I have to go up there in December to take a NAIOMT manual therapy certification exam...never been up to that part of the country. Didn't even know Okra was heard of up there.