Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Walking the Dog

Bo, our dog, (deceased)

The great socializing activities I observe seem to be booze, work, children, weather, sports, death, and dogs. Just how dogs got into this mix is a mystery to me. Yet there is no greater source of instant camaraderie than the meeting of two people walking their dogs.
I have yet to see a picture of a Samoan dog that was not a Peace Corps volunteer's pet, let alone Samoans walking their dogs. I wonder how Samoans meet one another? Have they discovered that no love can be shared between a person with a dog and one without? Maybe a candle lit dinner of dog is more harmonious than feeding a dog?

My dog walking days are over for now. I can only watch dog lovers from my window as I try to pass the days before our departure.

No comments: