Friday, October 12, 2007

Churches of Iva (Overview)

10/06/07

One can not understand Samoa without understanding the depth religion plays in the society and culture. Christianity pervades every aspect of life here from the schools, courts, business, law, government, etc. It is a “Way of Life”, not unlike Islam or Christianity during the middle ages. Each day I discover a new aspect of how the church influences every Samoan, whether they actually attend church or not. It is almost impossible for a Samoan to envision another person who is not a Christian, just as is it almost impossible for an American to understand a theocratic Christian country.

What a society builds often reflects what they deem important. Americans build ballparks, corporate skyscrapers, freeways, and large houses. Samoans build churches. Churches are by far the most dominate structure in any village. They continue to be built, each bigger than the last, in the continuing contest of devotion. Samoans spend over twice as much on religion as they do on education. They donate even more in the form of animals and goods for fund raisers.

There are seven churches in Iva. Mary and I have attended each one to see what role they play in the community. It is part of our job as Peace Corps to understand how to get things done in this South Pacific world.

Rather than bore you with one long blog entry on all the churches, I shall make separate entries in the coming weeks under the “First 90 Days of Iva-Churches” label.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often feel like I'm living in a Christian theocracy, and you're right--I DON'T understand it. ALB

Teri said...

I second that, ALB! The Bush administration doesn't seem to quite get the concept of separation of church and state. Here I am trying to figure out why my son, who attends a public school, is required by his football coach to recite a Christian prayer before each game. Mind you, this is not a moment of silence I'm talking about. The coach has the entire team recite a Christian prayer. I don't understand it either.