Monday, March 5, 2007

Affects on One's Family

My Family
Front: Sam (Grandson), Matt (Son-in-law), Kim (Daughter), Christine (Sister)
Middle: Steve(Son-in-law), Greg (Nephew), Nick (me), Nicholas (Son)
Rear: Teri (Daughter), Mary (Wife)

One of the many offshoots about joining the Peace Corps as an older adult is the affects of our actions on our children. As course, we discussed our thoughts with them before applying. We knew they have grown into responsible adults. But as our departure date draws closer, the reality of what we are doing is beginning to have its consequences.

For those of us who have lost their parents, there comes a time when you realize you are truly on your own, maybe even a sense of abandonment. There is a fear of maybe you can't make it and a feeling of losing someone who truly cared for you. My children exhibit some of these same emotions. Of course, the Peace Corps is not forever, but I sense my children may view it that way.

My children also have a concern about our safety. I guess living in a third world country does conjure up horrible images. It is hard to think of your parents living in a place without 200 TV channels, shopping malls, and snow. I just try to reassure them that an organization that requires you to wear a bicycle helmet is one concerned about safety.

As a parent. it is hard to feel their anguish and sadness, but at the same time reassuring to know you can return to people who love you.

2 comments:

Teri said...

I, for one, don't consider this Peace Corps adventure of yours a "forever" thing Dad. Of course I do have my worries, but overall I am thrilled you two are doing it. I am glad it is you and not me. I start sweating just THINKING about the heat!!
Love,
Teri

Anonymous said...

ukraine is a third world country as well )))

tanya