Thursday, May 22, 2008

Work for Pay

05/19/08

Frustrations mount as I try different approaches to have my fellow villagers learn about working for pay. Some say Samoans are lazy. From Western eyes, I can understand that perception. I don’t see that way.

Samoans spend lots of time and effort doing the things they deem worthwhile, like weaving mats, picking weeds from the flower garden, hospitality, socializing with family, or anything that with church. Working a plantation to meet the families basic food needs is hard work. Many in the village still do to provide basic food needs and a little cash by walking up the mountain to tend to their cattle and taro fields. Enough money is earned or begged for to meet a specific immediate need. What is missing is working for money as a way of life.

As Samoa sinks deeper into my body, I realize there is currently no need for Samoans to work just for money. Working for pay, or a 40 hour-a-week salaried job in an office or service occupation, mostly doing nothing, doesn’t make sense. Yet as appalling as it may be that is the future for most.

No comments: