Monday, April 14, 2008

Indirect World

04/13/08

As an American living in the United States we may forget just what a direct people we are. We ask a question and expect a straightforward and truthful response. We respect people who “Tell it like it is”. We just don’t hanker to beating around the bush, secret agendas, or evasiveness. Well let me tell you most of the world ain’t like us. In fact they are just the opposite.

Coming face to face with the “Indirect World” is a frustrating experience. In this world custom, traditions, personal relationships, and unspoken agendas are the rule. They can’t figure out why we are so rude. We can’t figure out why they don’t tell us anything.

Selling cabbage brings these two opposing ways of interaction to light. I want to price my really super big cabbage at a price higher than lesser-sized cabbage sold in the past. I have told other cabbage growers my intention and that we should not be selling cabbage at a lower price than the island’s market 3 miles away. They agree to my suggestion.

Now enter members from related families who say the new price is too high. To which I reply, grow it yourself here is the hoe, go to island market, or don’t eat it. I think that many feel they should get it for free. All agree that I work very hard in the garden. None want to grow their own.

I thought we should start selling the latest batch of cabbage last weekend, but deferred to my host father who said his family members would sell it this weekend. He kept asking me about the selling price. I could hear women talking loud enough for me to hear that the price is too high. This weekend comes and no one is available to sell the cabbage. It feels like our host family is shunning us because they are the quietest towards us they have ever been. So we, set up a table at the road to sell the cabbage while the family goes off to church.

After church our host father stops by the stand and tells us that two other stores are also selling cabbage. He asks if we have sold any. We had sold some at the new price, but still had lots more ready to sell in the garden. So I do the only thing left to do. I go to the stores selling cabbage and ask them if they want to sell my superior product. We all agree to sell it at the higher retail price. They get a high markup from me. They are delighted. I am delighted. We are doing business without reducing the retail price. It seems that I now have retail outlets for my cabbage and future vegetables. No longer do I have to rely on how my host family feels about the selling price.

I have no idea how many Samoan taboos I have broken; taboos I know nothing about, nor have been told about. I am operating blindly in this strange Indirect World. I do know that they have been exposed to American entrepreneurship, as ugly and as greedy as it may be. Standby, this rocket ship has blasted off into worlds unknown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once a salesman always a saleman!
Loren