Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hand of God

August 13, 2011


When Divine Intervention happens, you should not question the how or why. Here is my D.I. story.


While rushing to catch the ferry back to the island of Upolu and being hungry because there was no power at the Sekia Pizza stand on the north side of the island, I heard a strange knocking sound coming from my rental car’s engine. I pull into a parking spot in front of a Salelologo store where there is usually a person selling barbeque something. No barbeque, but also no starting of my car.


A panic begins to settle in as my ferry is at the dock and waits for no man. I mentally start to run down the list of possible problems. Battery, no. Gas, no. Must be under the hood. But as I emerge from the car, a man is already lifting the hood. He checks the oil. No oil. The radiator. No water. My God, this is serious. Father’s Day weekend in Samoa is like Christmas Day in the U.S. You may not get help until after New Year’s.


The man tells me the store sells oil as he sends a boy to get water for the radiator. He confidently adds oil and water, turning the engine with each addition to insure proper lubrication and cooling.


Who could this man be? I ask him his name and tell him mine.


“I know”, he says as he puffs on his cigarette, “you lived with the Kapeli family in Iva. I am the acolyte at the Catholic Church in Saleavalu.”


“I didn’t recognize you without your robes”, I humbly say, swallowing hard.


Such is Samoa, a small island country touched by the Hand of God.


P.S. The car seems to be running fine. Hope it lasts for the next ten days.


No comments: