Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What I am eating

May 22, 2011


My eating has definitely changed from when I lived with a host family on Savaii. Grocery stores surround the office building where I work with the fruit market across the street. There is also time for me to prepare meals without the hungry eyes of village children. It is just me.


Still I miss a lot of the traditional Samoan foods. The young Samoan girls in the office have no idea how to prepare the many dishes I was able to buy from village women trying to earn a little extra money. There are a few stalls at the fruit market where I can buy some traditional foods. The women can see me coming from a mile away.


This is what I prepared today:


Yellow Fin Tuna Steak. Purchased at the fish market, a four mile bike ride, as a five pound slab which is enough to make 12 meals. Cooked in a little certified organic coconut oil. Raw in the middle.


Papaya Salsa. Made with local papaya, fresh green spring onions, garlic, salt, coconut oil, salt, vinegar, lemon juice, hot local chili peppers.


Stir-fry green beans and Samoan Roma tomatoes with onions and garlic.


Breakfast is usually oak meal with honey or toast, or leftovers from the night before.


For snacks, I really like the ripe sweet Misiluki bananas and kind of a cookie, called Keke Saina (Chinese cake)


I haven’t weighed myself yet, but I may be a candidate for my own Samoan Challenge.


Tuna steak, stirfry veggies, and papaya salsa
Misiluki bananas and Keke Saina


No comments: