Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Welcome Back

8/23/09

On the three legs of my return flights from the Philippines, my whole being begged for someone to ask, to understand, to recognize what an incredible Peace Corps adventure I just experienced. I listened to a Japanese businessman talk about his difficulties in consulting with Americans about advances the rest of the world made made over the past 40 years on nuclear power plant construction. I sat next to numerous travelers absorbed in their own electronic worlds. At the Seattle airport, the immigration officer asked me the routine questions about where I had been and what I was doing. As he stamped my passport for re-entry, he quietly said "Welcome Back". He knew. He had been in a similar situation, maybe as a solider. I almost cried.

3 comments:

Jennifer Niemeier said...

Welcome home Nick! I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures and I am amazed at all you did!!!

David McKeen said...

Welcome home Nick! I agree with Jennifer, I have enjoyed the ride.

Andrea Rufener said...

Welcome back Uncle Nick! And see you in March 2010!